Chad Le Clos secures yet another Gold Medal during last nights SA Sports Awards in Johannesburg grabbing the top spot of Sports Star Of The Year…
Last night, Chad Le Clos claimed another Gold Medal in the form of the top spot award at the SA Sport Awards in Johannesburg by owning the Sports Star Of The Year Award. Chad clocked in at pole position above last years winner, Hashim Amla, Natalie du Toit and Cameron van der Burgh, Caster Semenya, Siyabonga Nomvete, Vernon Philander and even Oscar Pistorius.
Not that I need to even mention it, but Chad Le Clos became an instant hit by showing Michael Phelps who’s boss by beating him by the skin of his teeth during the 200m Men’s Butterfly Final at the London Olympics 2012 which fully proved the quote from the movie Fast And Furious..”Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn’t matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning’s winning.”… and we all know he wasn’t the only Le Clos to become an overnight sensation minutes later Of course the Proudest Ballie in the world, none other than Chad’s Dad Bert Le Clos who I got to know personally during his stay in London, would have no doubt been in his element last night… truly another “Unbelievable” moment for him.
And lets not forget the legend that drives Chad, pushing him to his limits and beyond, who is none other that SA Olympic Swimming Head Coach Graham Hill, Graham has been finely tuning Chad for years to get Chad to where he is now, who would be so proud of seeing his hard work pay off.
I had a chat to Graham Hill this morning and asked him what he had to say about Chad winning the award…
“The world has not seen anything yet, it’s only just begun”
Great words spoken and I can totally agree, I think we have only just got a taste of what Chad is made of, come Rio in 2016… he may very well blow London 2012 out of the water completely.
Check out Chad winning gold at London 2012 in his famous race!
Here are the full results from last nights South African Sport Awards Event
- Sports star of the year: Chad le Clos (swimming).
- Sportsman of the year: Vernon Philander (cricket).
- Sportswoman of the year: Caster Semenya (athletics).
- Coach of the year: Joseph Mkhonza (football).
- Sportswoman of the year with Disability: Natalie du Toit (swimming).
- Sportsman of the year with Disability: Oscar Pistorius (athletics).
- Federation of the year: Rowing.Team of the year: Rowing.
- Administrator of the year: Wimpie du Plessis (rowing).
- Newcomer of the year: Siya Kolisi (rugby).
- Volunteer of the year: Sondiso Magajana (judo).
- School team of the year: Ithembelihle High (rugby).
- Journalist of the year: Velile Mbuli
- Photographer of the year: Sydney Seshibedi
- Recreation body of the year: Vakhegula (Vakhegula football)
- Steve Tshwete Lifetime Award 2012: Elijah Tap Tap Makhithini (boxing), Papwa Sewgolum Sewsunker (golf), Sam Ramsamy, Petros Molemela (football), Sally Little (golf), Joost van der Westhuizen (rugby).
- Green Jacket recipients for 2012: Matthews Motshwareteu (athletics), Blanche Moila (athletics), Grant Khomo Was bestowed with order of Ikhamanga (cricket, rugby, football and tennis), Nelson Teenage Dladla (football).