Facebook App ‘Farmville’ said to be bigger than Twitter
Would you believe it, a Facebook app is said to be bigger than Twitter. If you don't know what Farmville is, or haven't at least seen the name, then clearly you are not on Facebook. Not a day goes by where you don't see something posted on your Home page where it says something about what a friend has achieved or what stray black sheep they found wandering around their farm.
Farmville is a Facebook application developed by Zynga, which is a seperate company to Facebook, it allows you to start a small virtual farm where you plough land and make it ready for seeding, then once whatever you've grown is ready, you then harvest it and earn Farmville coins to buy more stuff to grow. You can also farm animals and entertain yourself with just about anything that is related to farming. You do this day in day out until you find yourself with a "plantation" after a few weeks of being glued to the app neglecting everything else on Facebook, it is rather addictive to say the least… trust me, I know
Unfortunately eventually you do get a bit tired of ploughing, seeding and then harvesting each and every block of your 24×24 block farm that the novelty wears off a bit until you start letting your boredom flourish into more creative things like this…
And thats more or less where my Farmville experience ended…
Now as you can imagine, this little addictive game has quite a lot of active monthly users… around 69 million to be exact.
If you have logged onto Facebook in the last 24hrs, you would have noticed a message from the main man himself, Mark Zuckerberg announcing that Facebook now has 350 million users. As you can see Farmville alone has attracted a huge chunk of that, pretty much around a fifth of everyone on Facebook is playing Farmville on a monthly basis.
Now the thing is, Facebook don't mind releasing their statistics, whereas Twitter do mind a bit and you'll see why. It is said that Facebook serves 200 billion page views per month and here's an interesting one, 1.6 billion messages are exchanged on Facebook chat on a daily basis. I think its safe to say that Facebook is heading for world domination Twitter on the other hand do not release the amount of users they have onboard however they do release their monthly active user stats, and with all the hype about Twiiter you'd expect the following figure to be a little more than it is, 18.9 million monthly active users.
In other words, that innocent; time wasting; ridiculous yet addictive Farmville application alone, is more than three times bigger than an entire social networking platform that is said to be Facebooks biggest rival, well all I can say is that it seems the guys at Zynga are doing something right.
Anyway, you can return to your farms now…
- Marky Warren
- The Full “Know Your DA” Video Is A Must See… Watch It Now [video]
- Drunk Ranger Charges Elephant Bull Video… Ranger Admits To Idiotic Act
- John Smit Plays His Final Rugby Game In London Tonight – Ticket Info
- The Rugby Panel #19 – Desperate Times
- Commander Chris Hadfield Records Space Oddity From the International Space Station [video]
- Marky Gets Interviewed On Guy Breakfast On Good Hope FM
- Thieves Blow Up Cash Machine… In A Petrol Station…[video]
- Ballistic B.J. Baldwin Shunts Monster Truck Through Desert At 150mph [video]
- Pole Smashes Through Bus Windscreen, Just Misses Driver… HECTIC! [video]
- UK Man Killed During Fight After Rugby Game At Kings Park, Durban
- Wimbledon gets its own Chakalaka Restaurant!
- Great White Shark Gets Through Cage During Shark Cage Dive [video]
- The Jan Braai Rules
- Bunny Chows in Wimbledon, London
- Ballz Radio is BOSS!
- An Evening With Jacques Kallis and Mark Boucher
- Do you think this was planned?
- Parys is Hot Hot Baby!
- Game Trolley Chick Fail [video]
- South Africa… Our Colour Shines Through