Lest We Forget…Remember 9/11… Where Were You At The Time?
Today is 11 September 2012, 11 years since shock waves were sent across the earth of the terror that unfolded in New York City on a seemingly normal morning in 2001 that changed completely in a matter of seconds as the first plane crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Centre. The world has never been the same since. Today is a day of Remembrance for those who lost their lives during the attacks
Like many I remember exactly where I was at the time and what I was doing and how it all happened which seemed like a movie scene unfolding, however it was full blown reality. The world has never been the same since. Still 11 years later, security at airports is still much higher than it ever was before then, wars are still being fought although thankfully most of those responsible the act of terror are now dead, sadly the lives lost that day can never be replaced. It may have happened in America, but it effected the rest of the world in more ways than one.
Yes there have been many conspiracy theories over the past 11 years but nothing detracts from the fact that those buildings fell and innocent lives were lost. After visiting Ground Zero, you leave with a sense of sadness for what took place there on that early September morning. Working in the investment banking/trading industry, over the years, I’ve met people who were only a few blocks away, knew people in the buildings that had become victims of the attack, the stories still fascinate me today. Cantor Fitzgerald lost 600 staff members that morning which I believe was virtually their entire New York Office, ex-staff here in London can tell you some stories of lost friends and colleagues, however sadly many others also perished that day.
I remember being at home in Pinetown, my Dad was off work that day and watching TV, next minute he calls me to the lounge and tell me to take a look at the TV as a plane had just crashed into the World Trade Centre, we watched with our eyes glued to the TV, however a few minutes later, we thought we were watching another replay, only this time it wasn’t since for a second you became confused that you saw a plane hit the tower but the other tower was already on fire, as in the pic above, from that moment on, you knew this definitely wasn’t an accident, for hours into the night my eyes never left the TV as I watched the events unfold with both towers sadly come crashing down.
If you haven’t read it yet, do yourself a favour and read a book called, 102 Minutes by Jim Dwyer and Keith Flynn, its possibly the most gripping book I’ve ever read, you won’t be able to put it down until you’ve read it cover to cover, no lies. It’s a very well put together account of real stories told be people that were in the buildings that managed to get out, and many that didn’t however the stories of their heroic acts made it out, and its all put together minute by minute as the events took place.
Possibly the best available DVD of the actual event is done by two French Filmakers known as the Naudet brothers, called 9/11
Do you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing? Tell us in the comments below, it would be interesting to hear different stories during those same moments…
- Marky Warren
- The Full “Know Your DA” Video Is A Must See… Watch It Now [video]
- Drunk Ranger Charges Elephant Bull Video… Ranger Admits To Idiotic Act
- John Smit Plays His Final Rugby Game In London Tonight – Ticket Info
- The Rugby Panel #19 – Desperate Times
- Commander Chris Hadfield Records Space Oddity From the International Space Station [video]
- Marky Gets Interviewed On Guy Breakfast On Good Hope FM
- Thieves Blow Up Cash Machine… In A Petrol Station…[video]
- Ballistic B.J. Baldwin Shunts Monster Truck Through Desert At 150mph [video]
- Pole Smashes Through Bus Windscreen, Just Misses Driver… HECTIC! [video]
- UK Man Killed During Fight After Rugby Game At Kings Park, Durban
- Nando’s Offers Paris Hilton a Better Joint
- PharSide LIVE – Sunday 1st August
- Win Free Tickets To Barry Hilton In London!
- Happy 1st Birthday PharSide.co.uk!
- Pretty Schweet Time Lapse Of The Clifton Trawler [video]
- Good Bye Dear Leader… Farewell To Kim Jong il
- Lest We Forget…Remember 9/11… Where Were You At The Time?
- Man sues after claiming the ‘Lynx Effect’ does not work
- Lairds Lodge, Your Home In Plettenberg Bay…Take A Look
- Bar Sia is Offering a Killer Special At The Moment!