The Jan Braai Rules
Jan Scannell a.k.a Jan Braai, the founder and driving force behind the charcoal fired stream train that is National Braai Day which is celebrated on 24th September in South Africa, and also naturally at The PharSide HQ in Wimbledon amongst other parts of the world, has published his first book, entitled “Fireworks” which gives you the low down about everything there is to know about braaiing… even though we all know “that guy” who thinks he knows it all already
Here’s Jan’s 10 golden rules about braaiing…
1. Nothing beats a real wood fire.
2. Gas is Afrikaans for a guest at your braai, not something you braai with.
3. Braaiing is the only fat-negative way of cooking food. Even when you steam food, the fat in it stays behind. When you braai, the fat drips out. Be healthy and braai.
4. Never braai with indigenous wood. Alien vegetation, like Rooikrans and black wattle, drink lots of ground water, so rather burn them. Besides, after all the sports world cups they’ve knocked us out of, it feels good to burn Australian rubbish.
5. Braaiing is a direct form of energy use, from the coals to your meat. With conventional electricity, there is a lot of spillage between the power plant, power lines, electricity box, wires, stove and pan. If you love the earth, braai.
6. Have enough ice at your braai. Use it for your Klippies and Coke.
7. Smoke flies to pretty people.
8. Animals eat grass, leaves and vegetables and convert them to meat. Eating meat is like eating vitamin pills.
9. A cow must only be killed once. Do not braai your steak until the flavour is dead.
10. A braaibroodjie is your chance to have your bread buttered on both sides.
Grab a copy of Jan’s book, Fireworks available now from Kalahari.net for just R181… thats like £13.50 (dunno if they’ll ship to the UK but I’m sure you can make a blerrie plan)
National Braai Day falls on Heritage Day in South Africa on Monday 24th September which is obviously a public holiday in SA, buuuuut that doesn’t mean you have a blerrie excuse not to take part anywhere else in the world.. unless you’re working a kak double shift, in which case you’re forgiven, and I’ll have a Klippies and coke for you, howz that?
Wasn’t it him that gave Chad Le Clos a cow for winning a Gold medal in the Olympics?
- Marky Warren
- The Full “Know Your DA” Video Is A Must See… Watch It Now [video]
- Drunk Ranger Charges Elephant Bull Video… Ranger Admits To Idiotic Act
- John Smit Plays His Final Rugby Game In London Tonight – Ticket Info
- The Rugby Panel #19 – Desperate Times
- Commander Chris Hadfield Records Space Oddity From the International Space Station [video]
- Marky Gets Interviewed On Guy Breakfast On Good Hope FM
- Thieves Blow Up Cash Machine… In A Petrol Station…[video]
- Ballistic B.J. Baldwin Shunts Monster Truck Through Desert At 150mph [video]
- Pole Smashes Through Bus Windscreen, Just Misses Driver… HECTIC! [video]
- UK Man Killed During Fight After Rugby Game At Kings Park, Durban
- Checkers Staff Notice… Got Teeth?
- Real Tokoloshe Caught On Video… Made TV News [video]
- Bar Sia is Offering a Killer Special At The Moment!
- Who Needs Tanks When You’ve Got A Toyota Hilux
- Australian Radio Station Hot 30 Prank Calls Kate Middleton’s Hospital Nurse [listen]
- Prime Circle Rocking Out Homelanz 2.0 SA/NZ/AUS Festival
- Tornado Tjoons “Sappening!” in Durban
- Swiss Sex Drive Thru’s… Only In Europe
- The Weather This Week, Looking A Little Bleek
- Ard Matthews Pulls A ‘Ras’ Of The National Anthem