Mugabe and The White African on More4… You have to see this!
Mugabe and The White African is to be shown on the More4 channel at 10pm on Tuesday 18th May… trust me, you DO NOT want to miss this…
A few months ago when I ran the ticket give aways for Invictus, I also gave away two tickets to see Mugabe and The White African with thanks to the HMVCurzon in Wimbledon. I'd seen Invictus already so I decided since "The Fellow" had Zimbo roots, I'd take him along to see Mugabe and The White African as it seemed quite interesting. To be truthfully honest, I wasn't expecting much since it wasn't a big release that I'd heard much about and more of a documentary style film. Lets just say I went in there expecting to have a bit of an educational lesson of the ongoings in Zimbabwe… 90mins later I exited the cinema feeling totally rocked and emotionally charged on a level that no other film had ever managed to achieve, I wasn't the only one, "The Fellow" felt exactly the same way, we also experienced something quite strange at the end of the film, not only could we hear people sobbing behind us at various points of the film, but after the film had ended and the lights came on, not one person stood up to walk out for about 5 mins, everyone just sat there silent. Personally I sat there with a million things going through my head, trying to come to some reasonable explanation to what I'd just seen and come to terms that what I'd seen, was not Hollywood fiction, but 100% pure reality… I was rocked!
The synopsis of the film does the film absolutely no justice, but then again, trying find words to explain what the film contains would even be quite difficult for myself since the film will quite honestly leave you speechless…
This is the synopsis taken from the films website at www.mugabeandthewhiteafrican.com
"Michael Campbell is one of the few hundred white farmers left in Zimbabwe since President Robert Mugabe began his violent land seizure program in 2000. Since then the country has descended into chaos, the economy brought to its knees by the reallocation of formerly white-owned farms to ZANU-PF friends and officials with no knowledge, experience or interest in farming. Mike, like hundreds of white farmers before him, has suffered years of multiple land invasions and violence at his farm.
In 2008, Mike, 75 years old and a grandfather – unable to call upon the protection of any Zimbabwean authorities and unable to even rely on the support of his fellow white farmers, all facing the same brutal intimidation – took the unprecedented step of challenging Robert Mugabe before the SADC (South African Development Community) international court, charging him and his government with racial discrimination and of violations of Human Rights.
This film is an intimate account of one family's astonishing bravery in the face of brutality, in a fight to protect their property, their livelihood and their country. The outcome of the court case potentially determining not just the future that lies ahead for Mike and his family, but the future of millions of ordinary Zimbabweans who continue to suffer at the hands of a dictator who, in setting his own countrymen against each other, has demonstrated that he cares only for power.
On the brink of losing everything, Mike and his family (wife Angela, daughter Laura and her husband Ben Freeth) stand united by their courage, their faith and their hope. Mike knows the personal risk to himself and his family that this case brings. Whatever the verdict by the court, this audacious and unprecedented stand may yet cost them their lives.
This is the only documentary feature film to have come out of Zimbabwe in recent years, where a total press ban still exists. Much of the footage was shot covertly. To have been caught filming would have lead to imprisonment. Mugabe and the White African is perhaps the outside world’s only real glimpse of what it is like to live inside Mugabe's Zimbabwe."
Check out the trailer below
It is not often that you will ever hear me beg, but for shit sakes! please make sure you see this… then after you have, come back and leave a comment of what you thought of the film…
More 4 channel on Freeview or Sky at 10pm… click here for further details
Please Share on Facebook or Retweet using the buttons at the top of the article to spread the word…. Thanks!
- Marky Warren
- The Full “Know Your DA” Video Is A Must See… Watch It Now [video]
- Drunk Ranger Charges Elephant Bull Video… Ranger Admits To Idiotic Act
- John Smit Plays His Final Rugby Game In London Tonight – Ticket Info
- The Rugby Panel #19 – Desperate Times
- Commander Chris Hadfield Records Space Oddity From the International Space Station [video]
- Marky Gets Interviewed On Guy Breakfast On Good Hope FM
- Thieves Blow Up Cash Machine… In A Petrol Station…[video]
- Ballistic B.J. Baldwin Shunts Monster Truck Through Desert At 150mph [video]
- Pole Smashes Through Bus Windscreen, Just Misses Driver… HECTIC! [video]
- UK Man Killed During Fight After Rugby Game At Kings Park, Durban
- What do you get when you cross Pap and Wors???
- Bunny Chows in Wimbledon, London
- Pablo Francisco Live at The Troxy, London
- Victor Matfield Gets To Meet Marky Mark
- Pissed off Icelandic Volcano Throws its Toys
- PharSide is a Finalist in the 2010 SA Blog Awards!
- Cat vs Two Aligators… Cat Dominates! [video]
- Five Pairs Of Tickets Up For Grabs To The Rewind 80′s Festival In Cape Town on 31st October
- Dave Grohl Boots Fan Out Of His Jol [video]
- Is This The Funniest Cat Video You’ll Ever See? [video]